Friday, January 15, 2010

Thoughts on Mr. McGwire

This is a tad bit belated, but it's still worth a post. Plus, I feel that I've had enough time to allow this to stew within my head to reach even more conclusions on this.

It's impossible to put a number on what percentage of players used steroids the past couple of decades. Every time I reach a number, it seems to dwindle down and be less than I previously anticipated.

Many believed that for the longest time that this was a game of cheaters against cheaters. I don't believe that at all. There is no doubt that many of the biggest names used PEDs (and even some that were not too well-known), but for every one of these players, there seems to be a person we know that didn't cheat. For every Roger Clemmens there is a Greg Maddux, for every Mark McGwire, a Ryne Sandberg.

I will not take this reasoning that McGwire deserves to be in the HOF. Under no circumstances should cheaters be allowed into the HOF. I know it's not the biggest sin in Baseball, but in today's society, it might as well be. Gambling is more of a thing of the past, and MLB should step up there game and determine the eligibility for cheaters.

I'm not even sure that McGwire feels remorseful, either. Sure he cried, but for about a decade he blatantly broke the rules. He says he wishes he never got involved but I bet if he had the chance, he'd do it all over again. Mark McGwire is one of the most selfish players I've ever seen. Apparently the man's family didn't even know about his usage, and it was all to make his career last a little longer.

And who says that we can believe Jose Canseco? The one thing that we can trust from him is that he is a pathological liar. I believe more out of former NBA referee Tim Donaghy than I do from Jose. Jose claims that the mentions of McGwire are true and that they injected each other. I doubt it.

The whole lesson that I've taken from this is that we should not trust anybody involved with PEDs period. Everything is simply hearsay. Believe nothing of what these men say, as they have no integrity. They have no pride in what they do or in the game they supposedly love. None of their words should be taken seriously.

Besides, I'm not even sure I want to know what really went down...

No comments:

Post a Comment